Seven Things You Don’t Need to Know About Me – A Meme

I got tagged by Cathy Nelson to participate in the Seven Things You Don’t Need to Know About Me meme the other day (sorry Cathy, I’ve not been on my computer for the last few days – shocking I know!)   So I’m supposed to tell you guys seven things you may not need to know about me, here goes:

I HATE spiders.  While I am also scared of snakes, I have nightmares about spiders.  However, I will NOT squash a spider anymore.  One night, I went into the kitchen to get something to drink.  When I turned on the light there was a HUGE spider – easily three inches long – running across the floor.  I took one of my moms garden shoes and squashed it – and out sprang HUNDREDS of baby spiders.  It freaked me out.  I’m squealing and banging cabinets looking for bug spray and all I can find is Windex.  I’m spraying these suckers with Windex to slow them down, but they are EVERYWHERE.  Mom comes in, finds the bug spray, and we go back to bed.  The next day, the exterminator is out to the house.

I love the sound, smell, and scenery of the ocean.  Our family used to rent a house at Myrtle Beach every summer when I was a kid.  I’ve even had the good fortune of having vacationed on both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts – I stayed a month in Monterrey, California the summer before high school.  I loved it out there – it was July and while the temperature in SC was in the hundreds, I don’t think it ever reached 80° in Monterrey.

I believe everyone should have to work retail and/or customer service at least once in their life.  And I mean they actually have to give great customer service – do a good job – not just go through the motions.  I believe if people did this, they wouldn’t be so quick to be such jerks to people who have those jobs.  Granted, there are folks who work customer service who shouldn’t be allowed near people, but still, I’ve always been told you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, so I try not to be noticeably irritated until the other person gives me reason.  I tell myself that I would hate to have their jobs, so let me not make their day any worse.

I dislike telephones.  I especially hate ringing telephones – they seem to always ring at the most inopportune times.  For those of you who call me, please leave a message.  I leave the ringer off the cell phone and I use the answering machine to screen calls.  Your best bet is to email me – I’m more likely to answer promptly.

As an undergrad in college I originally entered as an accounting major.  However, after taking my second accounting course I realized it was harder than I thought it would be and I knew I needed to change majors.  I’d always been fascinated by archeology and thought I wanted to be an archeologist, but then realized I’m lazy and I couldn’t see myself working outside, in the dirt, especially in the heat.  So I thought about being a history major, but then I learned that I’d have to write a thesis as part of the degree.  So, I became a glorified secretary instead – I got a degree in Office Administration.  It was six years later that I went back to get a library degree.

I can’t skip to the end of a book to find out who done it or what happens.  It drives me bonkers when I see people do this.  I want to be surprised and/or find out if I’m right.  Also, up until recently, I’d finish a book even if I didn’t like it, just because I’d invested so much time already.  However, now that my free time is limited, if I don’t like a book, I’ll give up on it and move on to another one.

I don’t perpetuate chain letters/emails.  If I get one, I may or may not read it – it just depends if it’s interesting or not.  I DON”T forward them on as a rule, and if I do, I create a new email and I delete everything but the good stuff and send it to only a few people, unlike most folks who just forward the original.  I refuse to perpetuate the mistaken belief that if you forward the message on to x number of people something ‘miraculous’ will happen.  Also, guys, use my PERSONAL email for those things – it’s against most company policies to send them through company email systems.  I’m just sayin’ – I don’t want to loose my job or have a note in my file because of a chain letter!

Which brings me to the end of this meme – I don’t mind people asking me to participate in a meme – in fact I thank you for thinking of me for chain letters and memes, however, I don’t feel comfortable asking friends or family to participate.  I leave it up to you guys to decide if you want to keep the meme going rather than requesting that Tom, Dick, or Harry be tagged next.  Participate if you choose, you wont hurt my feelings if you don’t!

FlickrCC Photo Credits: Giant Spider Strikes Again! by jpctalbot; yard sale fun – name tag by evelynishere

The Adventures and the Memoirs of Sherlock Homes book cover from Follett TitleWave.

2 thoughts on “Seven Things You Don’t Need to Know About Me – A Meme

1. I loved learning more about you! Thanks so much for doing this. I feel the same way about chain letters and now I’m feeling that way about memes too. I may do this at some time in the future thought because I like learning about others so maybe someone would be interested in me…