Odds & Ends (12-05-09)

Well, almost a month ago now we had our Technical Assistance Visit for High Schools That Work.  It’s hard to believe it’s been that long ago.  I’ve been taking a much needed break after the mad scramble to prepare for TAV and the following weeks SACS visit to decompress.  I’m pleased to report that both visits went well.  Lots of positive feedback and constructive comments for areas of improvement – although nothing of a surprise there.

Anyway, I ready to get back to sharing the many wonderful resources I’ve been collecting.  So here goes:

NYTimes.com: A Closer Look at Charles Dickens’s Christmas Carol – The New York Times has photographed and posted online the full manuscript of this Christmas classic.  There is also a contest for readers to select what they think is the most interesting edit.

BBC.com: Wildlife Finder – “Wildlife Finder gives you access to an ever growing catalogue of BBC natural history programmes, with video clips from series such as: Planet Earth, Blue Planet, Life on Earth, Natural World, the Nature of Britain and many more.”

Guardian: Secret second world ware aerial images go online- “23 November 2009: The Aerial Reconnaissance Archive (Tara) of historic second world war photographs is available online to the public from today. Tara includes around 10 million declassified aerial reconnaissance photographs from sorties flown by Allied aircraft during and immediately after the war, and images taken by Luftwaffe aircraft, which were seized by the British at Hitler’s mountain retreat, Berchtesgaden”

BBC Audiobook: The Twitter Audiobook – Hearts, Keys and Puppetry- Interesting idea.  I’ve downloaded the chapters and am looking forward to listening to them on my drive into work next week.

Hearts, Keys, and Puppetry

By Neil Gaiman and the Twitterverse
Narrated by Katherine Kellgren

“Sam was brushing her hair when the girl in the mirror put down the hairbrush, smiled, and said, “We don’t love you anymore.”

So began the Twitter Audio project, with a dazzling first line penned byNew York Times bestselling author Neil Gaiman. What followed was an epic tale of imaginary lands, magical objects, haunting melodies, plucky sidekicks, menacing villains and much more. From mystical blue roses to enchanted mirrors to pesky puppets, this classic fable was born from the collective creativity of more than one hundred contributors via the social network Twitter.com in a groundbreaking literary experiment. Together, virtual strangers crafted a rollicking story of a young girl’s journey with love, forgiveness, and acceptance.